Cream of Asparagus Soup
This is a delicious soup rich in Glutathione, the master antioxidant.
Makes 4 servings
2 pounds green asparagus
1 large onion, diced
2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
Salt, to taste
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
5-6 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Wash and then trim the hard ends off the asparagus and discard. Cut the asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
2. In a heavy pot over medium-low heat, sauté the onion in the margarine until translucent.
3. Add the asparagus, salt, and cayenne pepper and cook approximately 5 minutes.
4. Add 5 cups of vegetable broth and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
5. Pour half the soup into a blender, add 1/8 cup soy milk, and blend until smooth. (Add the remaining broth if a thinner consistency is desired.)
6. Pour into a bowl and set aside, then blend the remaining soup and soy milk.
7. Pour all the soup back into the pot over low heat.
8. Add lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper to taste.
Of all the foods I’ve ever tasted, this my very favorite, with no competitors even close. It’s what I prepare when I go to the kitchen, look around and find that nothing looks good. It’s what I prepare when my stomach is just a “little off”.
Its’s what I prepare when I want to get back together. When I was in China, every day we would have this for breakfast and even for lunch. It has great recovery powers, spiritually and emotionally, apart from physically.
Nutritionally, this simple rice porridge/soup strengthens the spleen-pancreas and digestive centers, tones the blood, balances “Chi” or “Qi” energy, and cools the body.
Not only that, it’s extremely beneficial for nursing mothers as it will not only nourish them, but increase their milk supply. All this with a little rice and water and some of Mother Nature’s best herbs and onions!
*Statements made on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. You should not stop taking any medication without first consulting your physician.